It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 am 

I'd love to have an option to include the computer name. Either at the top or to the left. Would want it in addition to including the OS version, not replacing it. It would be helpful because I work on a lot of machines remotely and its good to have a reminder.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 am 

%computername% is the environment variable you need to use. Just put it wherever you want. There are 3 places to put it - 'Menu caption', 'User name text' (both on Menu Look tab) and on the Start button tab, you can put %computername% in the 'Button tooltip'. If you want it in the caption including the OS name, just put the OS name followed by %computername%.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 am 

you can specify a custom username text or menu caption in the "Menu Look" tab
ofcourse you would have to set the name for every computer individually, and the text may be to long to fit right, i agree though an option to automatically add the computer name would be helpful (along with showing the caption text with 2 columns, which is technically 3 columns :P, but the skin could handle things...)

**Looks like someone beat me to it, and with a better answer :P**

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 am 

Cool. For now I've set the user name text to %username%@%computername%. There's no variable for the operating system version, unfortunately, so I can't do the same with the left caption without hardcoding it. Which would be bad, because I've got a single settings.xml file that I'm using to configure all machines and some of them have different OSes. Would kind of rather have it on the left since the large font at top and single column (my preference) can cut it off for long user/computername combos.