It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:12 pm 

Hello, world.
I just joined this forum to ask this question.
I'm not sure it's a bug in the Classic Explorer software, but I believe so...

First of all, sorry for the "censorship". The pictures are taken from the work PC of my office, and I'm not allowed to share the contents.
Nevertheles I'll try to explain.

The "fig_1" shows how I view the contents of most directories.
It's more or less what I wanted. The selection mode is not "full row select", so I can easily select the files with long names, like I'm doing in the picture (the mouse arrow was not captured, but the light blue selection rectangle was, and four long-named files are selected...)
This feature is very useful for some works I usually have to perform.

Unfortunately, some directories are shown in a different way: the example is in "fig_2". As you can see, the files are represented much more spaced (very annoying, when there are a lot of them) - by the way, also the bar with "Nome", "Ultima modifica", "Tipo", etc. is higher.
And the selection mode is "full row select" (making the work much harder).

So, what happens in the second directory?
I have verified that it doesn't contain any special hidden files (like "desktop.ini" or similar), it hasn't special attributes nor permission.
It looks like the behaviour actually depends on the directory name.
In the "fig_3", I have just renamed the "buggy" directory adding an underscore at the end (as shown in the title bar on the top and in the tree panel on the left - the address bar remained unchanged... a minor bug, maybe, but it's not so important). And now the contents of this directory behaves normally!

Other notes:
All the directories involved have names consisting only in basic printable ASCII characters, without spaces or blanks... In particoular, the two directories shown in "fig_1" and "fig_2" have the same name except the last digit (that's why I chose them as example - but also some other directories behave irregulaly... maybe a 5% of the total)
Also if I change the name of the parent directory, or the name of the grandparent directory, the contents of "fig_2" become normal. So, the bug (if it's actually a bug in this software) depends on the full path name.
When the pictures were taken, the computer was running ClassiShell 4.0.2. Then I have updated it with the most recent version 4.3.0, but nothing was fixed.

Can anyone help me to explain this behaviour, and (hopefully) get it to work normally?
Thanks in advance,
G.

Attachments:
File comment: fig_1
fig_1.png
fig_1.png [ 69.81 KiB | Viewed 21560 times ]
File comment: fig_2
fig_2.png
fig_2.png [ 67.1 KiB | Viewed 21560 times ]
File comment: fig_3
fig_3.png
fig_3.png [ 66.17 KiB | Viewed 21560 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

Classic Explorer is only a plugin for Windows Explorer that restores *some* functionality. It does not affect the selection of any item in the file pane (right side pane).

However, there is a way to do what you are asking for. You can try an app called Folder Options X: http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800soft/softwa ... ionsX.html It should let you toggle the behavior for *all* folders regardless of their names or paths.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
It does not affect the selection of any item in the file pane (right side pane).

Ah! So I was totally wrong... it's not a matter of Classic Shell. Right?

Gaurav wrote:
You can try an app called Folder Options X
I'll try it tomorrow.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 pm 

Trial failed.
Program installed, option checked, but still no luck :-(

In general, "full row select" had been already disabled, importing a .reg file that I found somewhere on the Internet.
And it worked... except for some directories.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 am 

If it works only for some directories, go to Control Panel -> Folder Options (called File Explorer Options in Windows 10). Switch to the "View" tab and click "Reset folders". Now the Folder Options X tweak should work for all folders.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am 

It' Windows 7 (forgot to say).
I had already resetted the folders many times in the previous trials to understand what's happening.
I'll try once more... (when I'll go back in the office).
Thank you again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 am 

On a clean install, usually Folder Options X works and affects all types of folders. But since you used some Registry tweak, it may have messed up the folder templates stored in the Registry.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 am 

Long time elapsed...

... but, just in case someone is interested in the topic...

*Here* I found some help, and (apparently) solved the problem.
The main trick was to delete the "extra" keys (like the one named "1" in this picture - I had other numbers as names, but it should be the same...)

Regards,
GGa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 am 

On a clean untweaked system, Folder Options X does the same thing as what that Registry tweak does: it forces the old Vista ListView control which has different behaviors. However once you have tweaked your Registry for certain templates, you may need to clean up some things before any folder view modifying tweak will work reliably.

Compare Start Menus