It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:21 am 

Sorry I could't see a section for "forum bugs".

I'm new to the forum. I registered and logged in. In "Classic Start Menu", I searched for "recent items", and got the following message:

- The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: recent items.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

I think my search terms matched your specification.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:24 am 

The forum uses phpbb. Its search absolutely sucks. It has too many restrictions and limitations. Please search the forum using Google or Bing search as follows:

<enter search terms> site:classicshell.net/forum

e.g.1, if you don't know how to change Start button,

In Google or Bing's search box, type: change start button site:classicshell.net/forum

e.g. 2 if you want to know how to add some folder, let's say, 'Videos' to the Start menu, search like this:

In Google or Bing's search box, type: add videos start menu site:classicshell.net/forum

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Please search the forum using Google or Bing search as follows:

<enter search terms> site:classicshell.net/forum

That worked great. Thanks.

BTW: I'm fairly sure that I replied within an hour of your post. I remember carefully trimming down your full post.

So, this post is actually my FOURTH post on this site, as follows:

- My post to this forum regarding the failure of the search terms.
- Two posts on the " Classic Start Menu" forum. The second was a repeat (from memory) of the first. So far, none of these posts have appeared.
- This current post.

If this post succeeds, I would be grateful if an Admin could move it to the correct forum.

Maybe this post could actually be considered as a "bug report" :-)

------------------------------

Here is my post for the "Classic Start Menu" forum:

Title: How to customize the number of "Recent items" to display?

The Word readme.rtf has the following statement:

- "Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable"

Can someone show me where this statement is implemented.

I'm sure I've examined all 14 tabs in this dialog:

- R-click Start > Settings

I can see options for "Show recent or frequent programs", but not for recent files.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:03 am 

If I understand the question correctly, it's here:

Attachments:
Recent documents.jpg
Recent documents.jpg [ 68.87 KiB | Viewed 28296 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 am 

fonpaolo wrote:
If I understand the question correctly, it's here:

IMHO: That's exactly what I'm looking for. (I won't know until I try it.) So thanks for that. I can see that 3 files have been added so far.

New subject: Your screenshot shows many more options than I can see (you have 3 rows of tabs).

The titles of both of our screenshots are the same.

Just to reiterate: I arrived at my dialog as follows:

- Right-click on Start > Settings > Start Menu Style tab > Classic with two columns

If, instead, I choose "Windows 7 style", I still only see two rows of tabs.

Do you know the reason?

Thanks.

Attachments:
ClassicStartMenuSettings.png
ClassicStartMenuSettings.png [ 26.35 KiB | Viewed 28292 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 am 

Depending on what style you're using, the settings menu will display the appropriate row of tabs
As you've already experienced, if you chose Windows 7 style, they're less, with Classic style or Classic two columns, you have more options, just because the styles are displayed in another way and you need more options to display them "correctly" (or better, as you wish), to reproduce as closely as they can the original menus which inspire them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:46 am 

fonpaolo wrote:
Depending on what style you're using, the settings menu will display the appropriate row of tabs

I don't think I asked a good question in my last post. So, let's start again :-)

In order to post your very informative screenshot, you must have used a specific sequence of steps. Can you please list the steps that you used in order to display the THREE rows of tabs in your screenshot.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 am 

What I wrote (and you've experienced) was the answer. ;)

As you said: "- Right-click on Start > Settings > Start Menu Style tab > Classic with two columns" and you'll have the same if you chose "Classic", in both cases you have three rows of tabs.
Then you said: "If, instead, I choose "Windows 7 style", I still only see two rows of tabs." and these are the settings available for that style.

As a side note, in most cases (not all), you can swap the menu style, make the changes, then swap it back and some settings are maintained.

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but, for what I know, the tabs are dependent on the menu style you chose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:05 pm 

Thanks for your generosity and hanging in. Most responders would have given up by now :)

I've attached a screenshot for each style. All screenshots show only two rows of tabs.

So, to repeat my question: What do I need to do to see 3 rows of tabs?

It would be nice if some other kind people would join in this discussion and say specifically that they do or do not see 3 tabs.

Attachments:
Win7.png
Win7.png [ 29.83 KiB | Viewed 28256 times ]
Classic_TwoCols.png
Classic_TwoCols.png [ 26.89 KiB | Viewed 28256 times ]
Classic_OneCol.png
Classic_OneCol.png [ 41.22 KiB | Viewed 28256 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 pm 

I suspect that the difference is given by OS, as I noticed, now, you're using Windows 10 and I'm using Windows 7.

At the moment I can't switch to Win 10 to verify, I have a double boot, but I need, prefer and still use Win 7 all the time.

If that's the reason, I'm sorry... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there are some tabs that are specific to each OS, also the labels may be different. Which may result in different number of rows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:46 am 

The number of rows of tabs will increase or decrease depending on how the Settings window is sized. On Windows 7, the tab names are longer so they will be displays on 3 rows. On Windows 8 and Windows 10, tab names are shorter.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:48 am 

Gaurav wrote:
The number of rows of tabs will increase or decrease depending on how the Settings window is sized. On Windows 7, the tab names are longer so they will be displays on 3 rows. On Windows 8 and Windows 10, tab names are shorter.

Duh :oops:

I apologize for wasting everyone's time - especially fonpaolo.

If I had discovered ClassicShell more than one week ago, I would have downloaded it to my previous Win 7 laptop.

So on my new Win 10 laptop, I would then have noticed the difference immediately.

I can only count up to 5, so I wouldn't have noticed that the number of tabs differed between Win 7 and 10. But at least my forum post would have mentioned that the difference must be due to the Windows version.

Sorry about that :(