It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:54 am 

I can no longer activate the Windows 10 'Action Centre' (either through the ‘Win-A’ shortcut or clicking the corresponding Taskbar icon) after waking up my computers from their Sleep State.

This happens on both my desktop computer (no brand name), as well as on my HP ZBook 14 notebook. Both computers have not only quite different hardware, but also differ substantially software-wise.

Clearly, ‘Classic Start Menu’ is involved, since I have no such problems when uninstalling it.

I use ‘Classic Start Menu’ already for many years. It looks like this issue commenced after installing the July 2016 Windows 10 Anniversary edition.

Does anybody:
a: Face similar issues?
b: Has a solution, allowing me to continue using both ‘Classic Start Menu’ AND the ‘Action Centre’?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:11 am 

There are no reports by any other users of Classic Shell interfering with Action Center or Win+A. Are you saying that uninstalling Classic Shell makes Win+A work and installing makes it stop working? The problem can only be fixed if it is reproducible on our computers. I tried sleeping my Windows 10 Anniversary Update PC and could use Action Center with Win+A after resuming from sleep.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:20 am 
Site Admin

If instead of uninstalling Classic Shell, you right-click on the start button and select "Exit", does Win+A start working?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:01 am 

Initially: NO. I still couldn’t activate the “Action Centre” after exiting ‘Classic Menu’ as you suggested.

Your reply inspired me though to do the following.
* I disabled ‘Classic Menu’ via Task Manager – Start-up.
* Nonetheless, ‘Classic Menu’ is still enabled after restarting (?).
* Now, after exiting ‘Classic Menu’ as you suggested, I can activate the “Action Centre” after sleeping and waking-up my desktop...

Don’t ask me why this works, but it does

It’s a bit more cumbersome though, hence I do hope that you will manage to tackle this issue!

So far: many thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:15 am 

To turn off Classic Start Menu at startup, open its Settings and from General Behavior tab, uncheck "Start automatically for this user". You can manually start it from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe. Also, what is your version of Classic Shell?

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm 

I am experiencing the same behaviour.
  1. I can no longer activate the Windows 10 'Action Centre' (either through the ‘Win-A’ shortcut or clicking the corresponding Taskbar icon) after waking up my laptops from their Sleep State.
  2. Same after waking up from Hibernate state.
  3. This only occurs when running Classic StartMenu prior to entering Sleep/Hibernation
  4. It can be fixed by restarting the Explorer process after which Action Center will open again.
  5. It can be prevented by exiting the Classic start menu prior to entering Sleep/Hibernation.

I believe this started around the W10 anniversary update
But I am not 100% sure when it exactly begun, as it took me a long time to track this down to ClassicMenu.

I was happy to find this thread confirming I am not the only one.
But also am surprised there arent more reports on this, as I am experiencing this exact same behaviour on 3 different laptops:
1) HP Elitebook 8730W
2) HP Spectre X360 (2016)
3) Lenovo Yoga S1 Thinkpad 12,5 inch (Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 20CD000MMH)

Any input would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm 

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe, run it and post the logs here.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 am 

Did you mean the "system log" option, like this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8nuaytsxfrvp ... %20Log.txt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 pm 

Everything looks OK from the log. Is it possible that some other app is interfering with the taskbar functionality? I also have 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and Classic Shell but do not face this issue on Windows 10 Creators Update/cannot replicate it. After resuming from sleep/hibernate, Win+A always works. (Not that I use Windows 10 though outside of testing, it's a very bad OS).

Or it can be an issue with a specific device driver?

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 pm 

Thank you for checking Gaurav! Just a short update from me for now.

Been too busy to look into it more yet. But one thing I did find out, is that it doesnt seem to occur on a new clean windows 10 userprofile.
Seems that Classic Shell is not the real/main culprit. (Could be a combination with something else. Could be something toallty different.)

I didn't really have time to look into this more yet, but I will report back on this more in some weeks when I will have more time.