It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:08 pm 

I don't know if this is Windows Anniversary related or Classic Shell hack related, but after fixing the MBR debacle, I noticed this morning I now have this second local disk showing up (the E:\ drive).

I only have one HDD, and I don't have any externals or flash drives connected to my PC. When I double click, there's nothing there. Device manager isn't showing anything out of the ordinary either. Is this a result of the Classic Shell hack?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm 

It might be a recovery partition created by Windows. If it's empty you can merge it into drive C: using Disk Management from the Win+X menu. It is not related to the hack.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 pm 

Would you mind telling me how to merge? I don't know if this helps, but here's a screenshot from Disk Management.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:47 pm 

Backup all data on it first. Then right click and select Delete. It will become unallocated space. Then, right click C and click Extend Volume and specify all the unallocated space there. But make sure that E drive is empty and has no important or system data. First go to Control Panel -> Folder Options and turn on hidden files and system files from View tab. If the drive contains anything important other than folders after showing hidden and system files like System Volume Information, back it up to not lose it.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

I would suggest before you destroy the partition, just remove the drive letter (right-click -> Change drive letter...), then reboot and see if everything works. Once you are certain nothing was using the E: volume, then destroy and repurpose it. Or leave it be - it's just 450MB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm 

Yes that would be better to do since it can contain the Boot folder with BCD data or the partition can contain the boot sector (if you are using legacy BIOS PC and that happens to be a primary partition).

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:17 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
But make sure that E drive is empty and has no important or system data. First go to Control Panel -> Folder Options and turn on hidden files and system files from View tab. If the drive contains anything important other than folders after showing hidden and system files like System Volume Information, back it up to not lose it.

When I opted to show hidden files and to show system files, this is what I ended up with. I'm not concerned about the recycle bin folder, but when I try to access the other two, I get error windows with the following messages:

Code:
E:\Recovery is not available.

Access is denied.

and

Code:
E:\System Volume Information is not available.

Access is denied.

Do I need to worry about this at all, or should I just go ahead and do what Ivo suggested:

Ivo wrote:
I would suggest before you destroy the partition, just remove the drive letter (right-click -> Change drive letter...), then reboot and see if everything works. Once you are certain nothing was using the E: volume, then destroy and repurpose it. Or leave it be - it's just 450MB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I would leave it alone. Just remove the drive letter so it doesn't get in the way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 pm 

Changing the drive letter and rebooting resulted in no issues, so I just deleted the volume and extended my C drive. Many thanks again, Ivo and Gaurav!