It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:58 pm 

I had CS 4.2.1 working fine in Windows 8. I accepted the upgrade to Windows 10 but 10 wouldn't access files on USB so I went back to 8. Now Classic Shell will not work, cannot be uninstalled, and a new version cannot be installed either. "The procedure entry point ?InitManagers@@YAXXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like upgrading to 10 and then downgrading back brakes a lot of stuff.
Download the installer for version 4.2.1 from here: http://classicshell.mediafire.com/folde ... 92/Archive
Run it and choose Remove.
Keep in mind there are two releases of version 4.2.1 - you may have to try both to see which works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 am 

That isn't working - either version says "older version of Classic Shell can't be uninstalled". Readme says I have version 4.2.1. I also checked and I can't delete the files right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:52 am 

Okay, in that case,
1. Try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1741#p8875
2. If that doesn't work either, see this thread for manually removing Classic Shell: viewtopic.php?t=4846&p=20673 It is a rather long, tedious procedure though.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 pm 

I will be doing this later, but at any rate, thank you for your help so far. I will post how things worked. I am writing this from a different computer (running XP).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm 

Hi, I registered just to say that I had the exact same problem but thanks to Gaurav reply in another topic I was able to solve this. Thanks Gaurav!
Here the reply.
Quote:

First, before trying the next steps, try to download the installer of the exact version you have installed and see if can be removed.

See here for installers for older versions: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

If despite running the installer of the version of Classic Shell you have, it can't be uninstalled, then read on. It means that your Classic Shell installation is in a partially installed state. This is a Windows Installer issue (system related). It can happen with any other software that uses Windows Installer, not just Classic Shell, nor something that is caused by Classic Shell, but due to the installation system it uses.

To fix this, there used to be an unsupported tool by Microsoft for cleaning up partially uninstalled Windows Installer-based applications called Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Download this tool from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml , install it and open it. Note that you must install and run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility as administrator (with elevated rights). Be careful with the use of this tool. It should list all applications on your system which use Windows Installer including some version of Classic Shell. Select Classic Shell in that list (and make sure you don't select any other product) and click "Remove". Let it remove and then click Exit.

Now try installing the latest version of Classic Shell and it should work. If no version of Classic Shell appears in Windows Installer Cleanup utility, exit the tool without doing anything and remove the tool from Programs and Features.

Also, note this tool is recommended only for your convenience. Classic Shell does not bear responsibility for Windows related issues or anything that may happen from the use of third party tools we recommend for troubleshooting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:08 am 

@Bekleidelele, Glad that it worked for you but there's an even better way to fix this now. Whenever you cannot remove an existing version of Classic Shell, use the Classic Shell Utility. Download it from this page (scroll below): http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ It will allow you to remove Classic Shell and then you can reinstall.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.