It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:25 am 

I update a computer with WIN 7 Pro to WIN 10 pro and then tried to install Classic Shell 4.2.5. version. I get the message Classic Shell "failed to extract setup file ". I have updated two computers that had WIN 8.1 without any problems. Neither of those two had WIN Pro version.

What can I do?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Admin

What is the exact message you get?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 am 

Pop Up

Classic Shell setup

Failed to extract setup file

"C:\programdata\classicshellsetup64_4_2_5.MSI".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Does the folder exist? Do you have permissions to create a new file in it? Try for example creating a new text file in that folder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:05 pm 

Make sure your %tmp% directory (C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp) is writable. You should be able to create a blank text file in it. Otherwise the permissions or ownership on that folder can be messed up. Open Properties of Temp folder and take ownership and grant write permissions to the correct users and groups and then try running the installer again.

Another possibility is that installer did not download completely. Try downloading it again.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:22 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Does the folder exist? Do you have permissions to create a new file in it? Try for example creating a new text file in that folder.

Unhid hidden files and this folder does not exist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Weird. That folder should exist and be accessible by all users. It is also known as %ALLUSERSPROFILE%.
You can use the "extract64" parameter for the installer, which will manually extract the MSI file into the current directory: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#install_commands
Then you can just double-click the MSI file.

But I recommend you figure out why your folder is missing. Other things will be broken in such case. Many programs store their information there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 am 

I did create another user account and was able to install Classic Shell on the new user account and also Classic Shell shows up on the old user account. I really have nothing in the old user account and thought about deleting it and just keeping the new user account. Think this is a good solution to the problem in my case?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, you can get rid of the old account if you don't need it.
However the folder in question is shared among all accounts. Maybe creating a new account recreated the folder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:56 am 

New account working great

Do not know if below was the problem having the old user account being under a sub folder in USERS

Old User Account was called Owner (but before I think was called CPU and was renamed Owner)
The old account under "Users" had a folder CPU then Owner was a sub folder under it

New User Account is called Conan and is directly under "Users" without being in a sub folder like the old user account.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:00 pm 

I ran into this same problem on a Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop I had upgraded from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. It would not extract the MSI file from the download nor a copy I took from another computer where the installation had been successful.

Whether this is a solution for others, I did work for me. On this computer there were two user accounts setup. Both had Administrator equivalents. Classic Shell would not install from one user, but switching to the other user account (it appears that was the first account setup on this laptop), it did install without any issues.

I was able to configure Classic Shell for this user. I then logged into the other account and was able to configure that one without any issue as well.