It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm 

Hi, from two days ago all metro icons disappeared from classic shell start menu.
My system is running Win 10 x64, and I configured Win 7 style with Win 8 theme. When I select the Applications submenu it appears empty. I fixed Microsoft Edge icon in task bar, and the space of the icon is still there, if I click in such space Edge starts running, but no icon is displayed.
Do you have any idea what is happening?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Are just the icons gone, or the apps as well?
What version of Classic Shell do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 pm 

I believe the apps are still there. At least MS Edge is, because I can start it from the space in the taskbar where the icon was

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

I'm using version 4.2.4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:36 pm 

Another thing I remembered: I have another computer (Win x32) with the same classic shell version/configurations and it is ok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

No, I mean, does the menu show apps without icons, apps with default blank icon, or the menu is empty.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:57 pm 

Sorry, I misunderstand. The "Applications" menu is empty.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 pm 

If the taskbar also shows blank icons, the apps themselves may have got corrupted (the images from which the icons are drawn may have got deleted for the apps). Icons on the taskbar are not drawn by Classic Shell, only the Start Menu apps icons are shown by Classic Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am 

Windows 10 64 bit with classic shell to give windows 7 usability.

The Microsoft Edge icon (blue e) is there in the task bar and also at the top of the start menu but when I click 'All Programs' the entry there for Microsoft Edge, amongst the other 'M" titles, has an icon that looks like a blank sheet of paper with the top corner curled over.

If I right-click this All Programs entry for Microsoft Edge and select properties, then click 'Change icon', the 'select icon' dialog appears and the top-left icon is selected: a blank sheet of paper with top corner bent over.
The "look for icons in this file" box shows : %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll.

I don't know where to look for the Edge executable, otherwise I was going to try selecting it as the icon source. I searched for edge in explorer but it can't find it.
(where the heck do they hide it?)

Is it a corruption problem?
Or is it perhaps that the icons in task bar and top of start menu are larger and the dll provides only the large icons, while the 'All programs' entry may need a smaller icon but the same dll may not provide the required small icon? Maybe the icon in the dll defaults to a blank paper icon if the required size is missing?

If I right-click the task bar 'e' icon, then right-click the pop up for Microsoft Edge that appears and select properties from that, the icon selected for that also shows the blank sheet of paper, yet the task bar definitely has the blue 'e'.
Hmmm.
Anyone know how to get the blue 'e' back in the 'All programs' menu, or is it a bug in Classic shell?

p.s. classic shell does look much better than the awful windows 10 menu- thanks!
I thought windows 10 was supposed to be an apology for windows 8; they still could do better- like offer an option to display and work like windows 7 when not in tablet mode :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:22 am 

@pilot222, are you able to launch Edge without issues, meaning, is it only the icon that's not showing? Then right click the Start button and exit the Start Menu. Then go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ClassicShell\ and delete DataCache.db. Then sign out of your Windows user account and log in back. See if the icon has returned.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.