It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm 

Using Windows 7 64bit with Asus P8z68 pro gen3 M/B. Ever since the latter versions of v3 and including the latest v4.0.6 I have had some sort of issues upgrading to the newer versions. I dont recall the exact specific situation on some of the latter v3 upgrades, but the installer would finish then wouldn't allow a proper re-boot, the screen would lock up or something like that and would have to power off the PC, re-start and all is fine.

Now with version 4.0.6 (maybe even 4.0.4) during the upgrade I get the notice about having explorer & browsers windows open and to shut them down, but they already are. It appears the program thinks otherwise? get some notice about closing them, but they are, so I continue, but then it crashes my desktop, I lose my icons, start menu, everything but my desktop wallpaper, I assume Classic Shell is attempting to close windows explorer but it closes the desktop explore? So I have to shut down going through Ctl,Alt,Delete and shut down that way. I restart and all is well, except it lose my skin and menu settings and have to reset those.

I have 3 machines here with the same hardware config & O/S and they all did the same thing....

Now interesting enough I upgraded a friends machine that had a much older version of Classic Shell 3.3 or something and it went smoothly, they have the same hardware & O/S 64bit, as I set it up for them the same time I did mine years ago. They just never upgraded from the first time I did it originally.

Then I installed Classic Shell for them on a totally different hardware but with Windows 7 32bit and went smoothly.

Until i did these other machines i thought these upgrade hiccups were normal as they happen on all 3 of my desktops.

So I don't know if it has to do with my upgrading each time a version comes out, or some other configuration set up on my 3 machines as I have applied some minor Tweaks, like disabling the windows Zip feature, turning off hibernation, moved temp locations off the SDD to a HDD, Move MSOcache location with symbolic link. Silence restart nag etc, things like that.

The crashing of the desktop is odd, Classic shell always installed but I always had some sort of re-start/shutdown issue after the installs. Also at times I noticed It wouldn't retain my original settings ie Skin, menu setting and have to import my saved setup files, which im glad i created those.

Hope you can shed some light on this, just would like to know if it is my PC's or something with the Classic Shell.

Let me know if you need anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes Explorer fails to restart properly. Keep in mind that the desktop and taskbar are also implemented by Explorer. They also need to be closed for the installer to work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:18 pm 

If your Taskbar disappears (the installer tries to close Explorer) and then tells you it was unable to close, then press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and terminate the EXPLORER.EXE process. Then the installer will continue.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.