It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hello Dev.Team of Classic Shell! C.S. is the best utility for Windows 7 since the time when Windows 7 released, thanks for your great job. But.....
I noticed a problem with hanging off the explorer.exe process in windows 7 by the Classic Shell application. It happens with all PC in my domain where C.S. is installed. And there are no problems on PC's where the C.S. isn't installed :) I had this problem very long time before I found a solution with uninstalling Classic Shell. After I uninstalled C.S. from problem PC's this problem gone immediately. I'd like to continue useing the Classic Shell.....so could you help me to solve this problem,please?

Best regards,
Sorokin Ili'ya

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I'm just studying :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

When you say "hangs off", do you mean it temporarily freezes, or does it permanently kills explorer?
When the hang occurs, try to capture crash dumps as described here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm 

Thanks for your answer! When I say "hangs off" I mean the C.S. permanently kills explorer and Windows 7 trying to restart it without any success.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

OK, then start "procdump -e explorer.exe" and wait for it to crash. make a few dumps and attach them here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 pm 

OK. Got it. I'll do it this evening, I promise.Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm 

Hello again!
Unfortunately I could not to do what I promised yesterday.I'm sorry.I could not to be in a place where the problem PC is.It means that I could not to install Classic Shell again on problem PC.But I've just installed the C.S. (ver 3.6.5 which caused problems with killing explorer.exe) to another PC with Windows 7. C.S is working properly without any problems yet. I'll try to collect dumps while working till that moment when hang occurs, but I'm not sure it will happen...I'll try to install C.S.(3.6.5) to problem PC as soon as possible to cause the problem again.So let me keep in touch with you until that monet when the problem will be solved.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 pm 

Other users have had many troubles with various anti-virus programs and Classic Shell. Known ones to cause trouble with Classic Shell such as hangs and crashes are BitDefender and ZoneAlarm. On the problem PC, look for a whitelisting method to prevent blocking of specific EXEs in your anti-virus program and include C:\Windows\Explorer.exe and C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe. See if the issue goes away.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm 

Thanks for your answer. I use Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8.1.0.831. I suppose that I'll do few things next time.Firstly I'll install Classic Shell on problem PC and try to cause this problem again without adding C:\Windows\Explorer.exe to whitelist. Secondly, when the problem occurs again I'll try to collect dumps and post them here. After that I'll follow your advice and see if issue goes away. And if I'll be able to solve this problem following your advice - I'll post a result here.
And many thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm 

Hello!
I'm sorry for my inactivity in this topic,but I really had no time for testing.Yesterday I installed Classic Shell on PC that caused problems with explorer. I was useing it more than 2 hours and NOTHING! No crashes, no freezes - NOTHING. Everything works fine. And I've still not uninstalled Classic Shell. I'd like to see what will happen next over sometime...To be continued...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 pm 

Hello everyone!
Unfortunally nothing happened. Everything works fine although I didn't do anything with antivirus software or anything else. If I will have this error next time first of all I'll capture dumps...I'm really sorry that I didn't do it when that error occured first time. Thank a lot for all admins from this forum for their quick and efficient help! And good luck!

Best regards,
Sorokin Ili'ya.