It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:59 am 

Hi. I think I have a bug here. Latest version (4.3.0)

I run the two-column mode. The right column has both "Control Panel" (hotkey is C) and "Printers" (hotkey is P). My program list in the left column also has program names that start with both P and C. When I popup the menu and press the P key, it the focus cycles through all of the program names that start with P for each key press, and then jumps to Printers, and then back to all of the program names. This is as expected. For the "C" key, however, it immediately runs Control Panel without first jumping to the program that starts with C. (In my case Calculator). I tried switching "Control Panel" between Link and Menu, and both cases have the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:05 am 

A change made in Classic Shell 4.3.0 to prefer user-defined accelerators (underlined keyboard shortcuts) over undefined accelerators caused this bug/regression. Next version should fix it when Ivo releases it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:15 am 

Keyboard accelerators for Classic Shell has never functioned properly for me.

For classic start menus in Windows, as long as the next sub menu hasn't popped up yet, and you're scrolling, the accelerators will work for files and folders in the directory where your cursor is placed.
This is the way it should work, IMO.

In Classic Shell, the accelerators doesn't work at all for folders in the directory where your cursor is placed while scrolling, until the next sub menu has popped up..
Then it will work for the sub menu.
Despite having used Classic Shell for two years, I still find myself stuck in the start menu because of this strange behaviour.

I've reported this issue before, but apparently, for some users it works like I'd want it to, although I suspect that they've misunderstood the problem.
Also, I've performed clean installs of every version of Classic Shell that has been released since I first started using it, and the problem has been present in all versions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

What exactly is your scenario? What style - classic, classic 2 columns Windows 7? What mode - main menu items, jumplists, search results, file browsing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:50 pm 

Ivo wrote:
What exactly is your scenario?

Like descibed in my previous post.

--

Ivo wrote:
What style?

Classic style / single columns (scroll)

--

Ivo wrote:
What mode?

Programs