It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 am 

Hi,
I installed the application a month or so ago and all has been well, but in the last few days while I've been using the laptop, the windows start button / windows program window etc open automatically while I'm both using the pc and also when its sat there doing nothing.
Not sure if this is a windows 8.1 issue or if its classicshell?
Hardware wise it's a Dell XPS Duo 12 / Win 8.1

Has anyone else come across this?

Cheers for any advice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 am 

Yes a couple of users have reported this - Start Menu opening automatically randomly but we could never reliably reproduce the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2614
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1305
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2571

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 am 

Just an example of such behaviour: Open youtube video in Full HD -> go fullscreen -> right click -> left click on video -> return from full screen using button in right lower corner -> you have Start Menu opened (checked on Windows 7, works when task bar is located on top/bottom/sides of screen). Sometimes needs several attemps (takes some time) to reproduce.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:26 am 

Still cannot reproduce the problem. I wonder if faulty GPU drivers are the culprit here. Also, if you exit Classic Start Menu, does it happen with the Windows 7 Start Menu? Have you assigned an additional hotkey to open the menu which maybe some program is sending?

If it happens with the Windows 7 menu as well, it's not a fault in Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 am 

Yes this happens even with Classic Start Menu turned off (standart Windows 7 Start Menu opens without any keyboard button being pressed).

hotkeys:
left click - classic start menu
shift+left click - nothing
win button - classic start menu
shift+win - standart Windows Start Menu
middle mouse button click - standart Windows Start Menu
mouse pointing - nothing

additional hotkeys for standart / classic Menus - nothing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm 

Same issue here, Windows 8.1, I haven't been able to work out what is causing it yet - it seems to be an intermittent issue, but frequent enough to be annoying!

Update: For me it seems to be a touchpad shortcut when you swipe from left to right starting from outside of the touchpad area, I must be doing this without realising.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:17 pm 

Can you really still not repro this? I still see the same behavior in 4.2.1 across multiple laptops, several times a day the Start menu just opens itself automatically.
I really don't think it's some other program's fault; the behavior only starts when Classic Shell is installed.

Love the program though, except for this bug!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 am 

Most programs play nice with windows (because its what they were designed to do) But not all programs play nice with other programs.
If you were to try and install 2 start menu programs, there would likely be some strange issues like maybe 2 overlapping start buttons (This is just an example of how 2, otherwise functioning programs 'interfere' with each-other)
Basically unless we know what program is causing the issue, we cant re-produce the issue, and without re-producing the issue, we cant make sure we solved it (we could probably make blind changes and HOPE it solves the issue, in your case. However that is likely to introduce more errors than it fixes)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Admin

@aqualung99 - have you considered what the person before you discovered? That it is some touchpad gesture that he triggers by accident?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:01 pm 

The trackpad would be a possible cause for one of the laptops, but not the other. The other operates as a desktop machine with external mouse & keyboard attached. Both behave the same. Both running Windows 8.1.
I'm going to try to go back to version 3.9 and see if that improves things. If it doesn't, I'll install a debug build of it and see if I can help track down the cause.