It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make a new software:)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm 

Wouldn't it be nice if they made a dock software just like rocketdock? Classic Shell is Awesome.

Post subject: Re: Make a new sotware:)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm 

are you requesting that (the Developers of classic shell) make a dock program?, whats wrong with rocket dock? :P, it works well with classic shell :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 pm 

There are 2 good free dock programs, ObjectDock and RocketDock. So the dock market is saturated with quality solutions. Besides, I never understood the advantage/purpose of the dock on Microsoft Windows. It has a state-of-the-art Taskbar (for launching most used programs and switching) and Start Menu (for organizing and launching lesser used programs), both follow Fitt's law. What additional purpose does a Dock serve? With Windows 7, the taskbar also accommodates most features of the OS X dock.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:29 am 

personally i dont like to pin things to my taskbar, i only want stuff on my taskbar that is currently running (sure that means it only takes about 1/4 the space of my taskbar, but thats just my preference)
and thats where a dock comes in... for the 5-8~ most frequently used things (anything else goes on the start menu)

I dont even like things like Skype and Utorrent remaining in my taskbar (which is why i use the minimize to system tray options respectively)

its mostly a visual preference for me :P, cause functionally a dock is basically the same thing as pinning things.. (but with its own dedicated space), also i usually set my dock to only appear on mouseover, while i leave my taskbar up all the time

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:33 am 

But the taskbar is always on top so the user doesn't have to minimize anything to launch more programs. And the Start Menu and Start screen also appear on top. The Dock either has to be brought to the foreground or windows overlapping it minimized to use it. That is a major usability fail right there IMHO.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:44 am 

The dock can be 'Always on top' just like the taskbar can. when its set to autohide you just move your mouse to the side of the screen for a pre-defined delay and it'll pop out on top of everything else...
And with a little help from desktop coral, it can even have its own little strip reserved for it, so programs dont maximize over it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:59 am 

Hmm. I guess it's not for me. For me, the taskbar is better by leaps and bounds. Plus, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker does to the Taskbar what Classic Shell did to the Start Menu - abundant customization.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am 

i use that to :P, my pc is heavily customized.. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:34 am 

rocketdock has been abandoned for over five years now. i have tried the nexus dock, but it had too manyoptions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:16 am 

to many options? :P
I don't see this as a problem unless the settings are unorganized, or vital options are missing..
even if rocket dock has been 'abandoned' it still fills its need, and is readily available.. (unless there are serious problems with it for you?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am 

I used to use RocketDock. Now it sucks :P
Yep the taskbar does fine for me