It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 pm 

Old guy here, age 65, it’s taken me 13 years to totally learn XP, so I welcome the “Classic Shell” programme.

Question - - I have just bought a new high-end custom built netbook, factory loaded with Win-7-Pro-64.

I am only assuming that the new Windows 10 (free upgrade from 7) will be even faster and more secure than Win-7.

My dilemma - - should I simply modify my Win-7 with Classic Shell, (and leave it at that) or should I “upgrade” from Win-7 to Win-10, and then down load Classic Shell?

I would like to hear the experiences of others.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 pm 

10 will be faster indeed; however not notably so when you factor out start times..
Were the upgrade a costly one, I wouldn't suggest doing it; However I hear that for the first year the upgrade from 7 will be free.. that being said I would probably go for it, if any of the features sound nice. Just note that some of the new changes you don't necessarily like may shine through classic shell. For example the copy dialogs in windows 8, or the network window

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:17 pm 

My suggestion: Modify your system with Classic Shell on Win 7.

Then when Win 10 releases, read what people say and decide then. In the mean time, if your computer can support it, look into virtualization software - for example, VMware Workstation. That way you can run Win 10 in a limited environment without having to change your base system from its operating system until you're sure you want to make the change. It's how I'm testing Win 10.

I'll definitely be using Classic Shell on Win 10.

Win 10 so far doesn't seem faster at anything except booting up, really. I have done fairly thorough testing. So far no system has had as fast a file system as Win 7.

-Noel