It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:42 pm 

DISM, "The component store corruption repaired" . . . every time I run DISM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

. . . In Win 8.1, I run DISM, and the result *always* has this sentence that "The component store corruption repaired."
. . .
. . .

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The component store corruption repaired.
The operation completed successfully.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

. . . I can get this result, without the sentence, though, in Win 10:
. . .
. . .

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

Everything else looks clean - No error messages noticed in:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth

SFC /SCANNNOW is fine . . . CHKDSK /X /R shows no bad sectors

Bottom of the DISM log

Event Viewer: System store corruption detection and repair has completed. Status: 0x0, Total instances of corruption found: 0, total instances of corruption repaired: 0.

As far as I can tell, it must have to do with what these entries say, in the DISM log - Keywords that I looked for were: warning, fail

After DISM runs, I do not see this folder with the long name where it's looking, in the Temp folder:

. . . . . .

2016-08-29 17:11:20, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=2140 TID=2348 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider. Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

. . . . . .

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Loading Provider from location C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\PEProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\PEProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

. . . . . .

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Loading Provider from location C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\Wow64provider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\Wow64provider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

. . . . . .

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Loading Provider from location C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\EmbeddedProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2016-08-29 17:11:21, Warning DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=3284 TID=920 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\7DFB4CE0-645B-4011-AB5B-E8451321D390\EmbeddedProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

[What is] WinPE for Windows 8.1: Windows PE 5.1 . . . Updated: December 11, 2013 . . . Applies To: Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 . . . Windows PE 5.0 (WinPE) is a small operating system used to install, deploy, and repair Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, and other Windows operating systems . . . Support for many Windows features - Windows PE runs the Windows command line environment, and supports these Windows features: . . . Image capturing and servicing, including Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) . . . https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825110.aspx

I'm not doing a "new install," so maybe these "Warnings" are harmless, and not the cause of me getting that sentence?

Keywords / Summary:

DISM Provider Store . . . Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider. Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

Loading Provider from location . . . PEProvider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
Failed to Load the provider . . . PEProvider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

Loading Provider from location . . . Wow64provider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
Failed to Load the provider . . . Wow64provider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

Loading Provider from location . . . EmbeddedProvider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
Failed to Load the provider . . . EmbeddedProvider.dll . . . CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

I tried de-installing Classic Shell, and running DISM - did not fix

[This did not fix it, either] Solved DISM Source files could not be found when trying to restore . . . I also have dism set to get stuff from Windows Update--- . . . gpedit.msc / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / System / Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair / [dot] Enabled . . . [check] Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) . . . http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/58764-dism-source-files-could-not-befound-when-trying-restore.html

Any idea what these are?

PEProvider.dll
Wow64provider.dll
EmbeddedProvider.dll

. . . and if they could be responsible for the "component store corruption" that it "repairs," but doesn't seem to really be repairing?

. . . Is there a way to fix this, or should I just ignore it?

. . . I don't notice any problems with the computer, just that sentence, that makes me think something could be wrong - and if it is, maybe it could mess up something down the road, so, that's why I think that I should look into it.

It looks like you're supposed to use DISM offline now, using an image - I can't figure out how to get the image . . . Also, you have to mount, and un-mount it? How does that work?

. . . . . .

PE dism error - Failed to get and initialize the PE provider . . . WIM format changed in Win 8.1. You need to use the DISM from the ADK from Windows 8.1. Older versions of DISM cannot service drivers or packages for example . . . https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/43d85666-c3f4-4780-b51a-d77b4b37e8be/pe-dism-error-failed-to-get-and-initialize-the-pe-provider?forum=winserversetup

Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update from Official Microsoft Download Center . . . Deployment tools help you customize, manage, and deploy Windows images. Deployment tools can be used to automate Windows deployments, removing the need for user interaction during Windows setup. Deployment tools include Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM) command line tool, DISM PowerShell cmdlets, DISM API, Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM), and OSCDIMG . . . [I downloaded these following two, initially, then saw the first one here, that was DISM] . . . Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT) includes tools to record system events and analyze performance data in a graphical user interface. WPT includes Windows Performance Recorder, Windows Performance Analyzer, and Xperf . . . Windows Assessment Toolkit is used to run assessments on a single computer. Assessments are tasks that simulate user activity and examine the state of the computer. Assessments produce metrics for various aspects of the system, and provide recommendations for making improvements . . . DOWNLOAD DEFAULT: C:\Users\[PROFILE-NAME]\Downloads\Windows Kits\8.1\ADK . . . (Change to Desktop) . . . PROGRAM INSTALL DEFAULT . . . C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1 . . . https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

. . . . . .

Repair with an image:

DISM How-to Topics (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) . . . Last Updated: 5/4/2016 . . . This section provides information about servicing an existing Windows image using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. You can add or remove language packs or drivers, and you can update an existing offline or online image when new software and hardware become available. Offline servicing is updating an image that has been mounted or applied, but is not currently installed and running. Online servicing is updating the image on a running installation of the Windows operating system. You can use DISM to mount a Windows image (.wim) file or a virtual hard disk (VHD) for servicing . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/dism-how-to-topics--deployment-image-servicing-and-management

Mount and Modify a Windows Image Using DISM . . . Last Updated: 5/4/2016 . . . You can use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to mount a Windows image from a WIM or VHD file. Mounting an image maps the contents of the image to a directory so that you can service the image using DISM without booting into the image. You can also perform common file operations, such as copying, pasting, and editing on a mounted image . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/mount-and-modify-a-windows-image-using-dism

Repair a Windows Image . . . Last Updated: 5/4/2016 . . . Repair a Windows image using DISM. You can repair offline Windows image in a WIM or VHD file, or an online Windows image. An online Windows image will also attempt to repair itself if it becomes unserviceable. The repair source for this operation is the same source that is used for Features on Demand and is determined by Group Policy settings. For more information, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. When you use the DISM tool to repair an online or offline image, you can use the /Source argument with the /RestoreHealth argument to specify additional repair source locations to use to search for the required files . . . To repair an image, use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image. For example, to repair an offline image using a mounted image as a repair source, at a command prompt, type the following command: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image

. . . . . .

Configure a Windows Repair Source . . . Last Updated: 5/4/2016 . . . You can use Group Policy to specify a Windows image repair source to use within your network. The repair source can be used to restore Windows features or to repair a corrupted Windows image . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/configure-a-windows-repair-source

Use DISM in Windows PowerShell . . . Last Updated: 8/19/2016 . . . On other supported operating systems, you can use the DISM PowerShell module included in the Windows ADK. By default, the module is installed with the Windows ADK in the DISM folder at <x86 or amd64>\DISM\ under the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\ in Windows 10 . . . In Win 8.1 . . . C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools . . . To import this module, at the command prompt, type: import-module <path to DISM folder> . . . Dism.exe /Image:<...> /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . . . [need to get the image, and give it the correct path] . . . https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/use-dism-in-windows-powershell-s14

This is getting beyond my capacity. Need help. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 am 

Check out these two articles below . . . It looks like DISM supports SFC . . . and, I have no errors noticed, after running SFC.

I'm thinking that as long as SFC shows as 100%, I really don't need to even ever run DISM.

. . . and, maybe I don't need to care that DISM always has this sentence . . . Any comments?

How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands . . . If the SFC command doesn’t work, you can use the DISM command on Windows 10 or Windows 8 to repair the underlying Windows system image . . . If Windows is blue-screening, applications are crashing, or some Windows features just aren’t working properly, the SFC command may be able to fix this. Even if the SFC command doesn’t repair any files, running it will confirm that no system files are corrupted and you can continue to troubleshoot your system with other methods . . . You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command or System Update Readiness Tool can fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly . . . Run the DISM Command to Fix SFC Problems - On Windows 10, 8.1, and 8, the Deployment Image & Servicing Management tool can fix component store corruption that prevents the SFC command from working properly . . . http://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to- ... -commands/

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot . . . http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5b60477a93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 am 

I found out from www.eightforums.com: "Correct, if SFC is not reporting any unrepairable system files, then you don't need to run DISM to repair the component store."

So, now I'm thinking:

Could this error message be due to me:

1.) working from a clone of the original OS install, and

2.) how I think that the OS might keep track of the Win 8.1 serial number in the BIOS, and there is some discrepancy between that, and the drive?

More specifically:

I use a total of 6 hard drives:

Win 8.1 is installed on C:, which is a 160GB IDE . . . and once per month, I make two clones, to another two 160GB IDE drives

I keep all of my files on D: . . . and once per day, I backup everything, to a couple of external drives

I'm certain that I'm not working off of the hard drive, on which I did the original install of the OS . . . and by this time, the original install has been replaced on one, or the other, of the two hard drives.

I thought - Ok, I'll flash the BIOS a couple of times . . . with the current, and previously available BIOS . . . thinking that if the serial number were in the BIOS, it would be wiped, and then the clone would put it back - and then that would get rid of the "corruption sentence" . . . but, this didn't do anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:04 pm 

From reading around, and generalizing from seemingly related posts . . .

It looks like this only affects users who try to reclaim disk space after the update, by either running Disk Cleanup w/System Files (including Windows Update), or by running DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup . . . and apparently not 100% of the users who do that experience the problem.

The only fix to get rid of the error message is to re-install Windows, and then, don't do any cleanup, and maybe, don't do a couple of updates . . . but, this could also be a bogus DISM error message:

Here are excerpts from what I found:

[I think this is wrong about KB2919355, or at least, won't work 100% of the time for everyone, but it got me to look into KB2919355 - and, possibly, it's bad advice about recommending to "cleanup"]

DISM /restoreHealth failes with error: 0x800f081f . . . Now, you can go to Windows Update and install a batch of updates. Eventually, the KB2919355 update will show up and it should install fine . . . You should then be able to perform a disk cleanup w/system files including old windows versions and windows update files to reclaim disk space . . . Afterwards, you should be able to run DISM /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore . . . If it recommends cleanup (it probably will), run DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup . . . You will gain tons more of disk space. I ended up doing this repair install twice, once on a test drive and the other on my "real" drive. Worked like a charm both times . . . http://www.eightforums.com/performance- ... 81f-4.html

Disk Cleanup / DISM Cleanup / Don't run cleaners

DISM /restoreHealth failes with error: 0x800f081f - Page 3 . . . Everything was working fine with the restored disk image that I updated with the "update", but I decided to run the DISM command to "startcomponentcleanup" and it gave me an error and the DISM restore health command started failing again. From what I read, this DISM component cleanup command is just like doing the Disk Cleanup when including the system files with Windows updates. It is also similar to the Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup which I have now disabled until Microsoft gets a handle on this. Luckily, I imaged the restored drive before playing with it . . . SFC Scan still shows no corruption, but DISM indicates files are repairable. I think since SFC is ok it probably isn't a problem . . . I tried just re-installing Windows as an upgrade using a MSDN 8.1 with update image. All the apps, settings etc weren't touched and now everything is OK. Even used diskcleanup afterwards and dism still works fine . . . Well, my system is updated fine, however I know that I cannot run the DISM startcomponentcleanup command or the disk cleanup w/system files without corrupting my component store . . . I'm still very upset that this KB2919355 update originally caused my component store corruption to begin with, and I have verified that fact by restoring a pre-update image on which I could run all DISM commands without failure. But eventually I had to accept the fact that Microsoft would probably tell me to do a repair install anyway . . . http://www.eightforums.com/performance- ... 81f-3.html

kb2919355 Component Store corruption - The Hotfix Share . . . I had no problems installing the 8.1 April update, but it introduced the component store corruption issue if I run Disk Cleanup w/System Files or DISM Start Component Cleanup . . . As long as I don't run these, both SFC /SCANNOW and DISM ScanHealth indicate no component store corruption . . . By the way, I copied the DISM.log file (renamed it to .old) to my OneDrive public folder from an image I mounted from when I first installed the updates and ran the Disk Cleanup w/System File and/or DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup utilities that appeared to have corrupted the component store. Note all the Asian (Chinese?) characters that fill the last 90% or so of the log. Please have a look at it: . . . I know that this issue has not been reported on a widespread basis, at least according to Microsoft, but I have seen quite a few posts among several boards. It only seems to affect users who try to reclaim disk space after the update by either running Disk Cleanup w/System Files (including Windows Update) Or by running DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup. And apparently not 100% of the users who do that experience the problem. Hopefully enough people will report this so that MS will take serious note of it . . . http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 1423&st=10

DISM /restoreHealth failes with error: 0x800f081f - Page 2 . . . Now I realize that what apparently caused the problem was doing a Disk Cleanup, including system files containing Windows Update files right after the update to reclaim some disk space for my SSD. As long as I don't run Disk Cleanup after the update, all is well. Afterwards I found a post by another user on a Microsoft forum who did essentially the same thing that I did . . . http://www.eightforums.com/performance- ... 81f-2.html

DISM /restoreHealth fails with 0x800f081f AFTER 8.1 update successfully installed . . . Couldn't pay me enough ever to run something that claims to clean the registry . . . the DISM command to erase old/unused update packages seemed to mess it up again. I will never run that command again, apparently it messes with something that then appears missing to windows . . . I have found several references to discussions to the effect the update may have introduced a bug wherein RestoreHealth generates the error message when in reality there is no error. Since the update, every time I run RestoreHealth I receive the same error message but the CBS.log shows no corruption . . . I appears that only running the DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup or Disk Cleanup with the system files option corrupts the component store . . . http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... bc3?page=3

kb2919355 Component Store corruption - The Hotfix Share . . . So, it appears that if any command is run that tries to cleanup the component store, it corrupts it . . . http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... opic=21423

Bogus or Real Message?

DISM /restoreHealth fails with 0x800f081f AFTER 8.1 update successfully installed . . . I really wish that MS would acknowledge this DISM component store corruption issue. If it's just a bogus DISM error message, we need to know that. And of course, if the component store really is corrupted, that could have some serious consequences going forward and needs to be addressed . . . http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... bc3?page=9

KB2919355

kb2919355 Component Store corruption - The Hotfix Share . . . Before I installed yesterday's updates, I looked at the Knowledge Base articles for each one. I noticed that one of the updates KB2969339 was "allegedly" to fix an issue "Error 0x80073712 when you install update 2919355 in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2". It said This issue occurs because a new component in update 2919355 contains a file version that is later than the file version that was already installed on the computer and that Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. Of course it said nothing about the DISM issues, but here is the link to the article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2969339 . . . Several users on a Microsoft forum . . . http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e=8&auth=1 . . . are reporting that this was the update that fixed the problem. . . . http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 1423&st=20

kb2919355 Component Store corruption - The Hotfix Share . . . I received another call about this support case from someone in Product Development. After a brief discussion, he basically said I (and, by extension, others with this problem) may have to re-format. Here are the scenarios as I currently understand them . . . 1. If you A) do not yet have kb2919355 installed (because, say, you refused to install it from Windows Update or it did not install successfully); and B) are unable to successfully run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, then you will likely have to re-format, regardless of the fix Microsoft will be releasing . . . 2. If you installed kb2919355 and cannot uninstall it, you will also likely have to re-format . . . 3. If you installed kb2919355, are able to successfully uninstall it, and then successfully run dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup , then you will likely NOT have to re-format . . . Incidentally, he also said that this problem affects a lot of people, although he didn't elaborate as to how many. He did say, however, that many others are unable to install kb2919355 in the first place . . . http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 1423&st=20

kb2919355 Component Store corruption, Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 R2 April 2014 update . . . Sadly, this is still an issue. Turns out I already had the KB2969339 update installed, but not the KB2966870 one. Installed it, but it didn't help me either. I've included lots of dism logs over here. My major grief right now is that I can't seem to do the Repair Install either. :-( . . . The setup only runs for a few seconds "Preparing xx%", up to 100%, then it dies, without error messages. My Windows Installer has been broken forever, it seems, and there are a couple of MS Office updates that refuse to install. (Error code 800070641.) And, of course the superlarge 3000850, which is supposed to be a non-critical update. It never installs correctly . . . http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.p ... 1423&st=20

KB2969339 - related

April 2014 servicing stack update for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 . . . Note We recommend that you install update 2975061 as it contains additional improvements that more comprehensively fixes the problem than update 2969339 . . . https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2969339