It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am 

Since on Windows 10, you seem to have figured out how to use the native aero implementation, I think it would be useful for Classic Shell to to have a built-in aero implementation for themes. I have also noticed that themes made for previous versions of Windows seem to have terrible animation glitches that also affect other parts of the OS under UXstyle. Maybe if you had an integrated theming system, it could rebuild those glitched themes to work properly with later versions of windows. It's a shame that all those old Windows XP, 7, and 8 themes are lost on windows 10 because of different programming.

The reason I'm asking is because this is Classic "Shell," not Classic Start Menu, which has a broader control of the OS, so it could very well have system themes and icon packs built for it without changing the type of project.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:03 pm 

Aside from the start menu being the actual focus of classic shell. (the toolbar is ok, but you can get that from just about any explorer toolbar)

It would be quite difficult to 'salvage all the old themes' because there are simply different requirements on windows 10, fields and pieces that simply didn't exist in a previous version, or no-longer exist now. It would have to be done on a theme by theme basis. (basically you gotta deal with the glitches, until/if the themes creator decides to create a version for 10)

Would I love to see a completely rebuilt explorer by Ivo, with all the cool features (like showing folder size, and customized skins) Sure; Though I think he has his hands full with the start menu...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:38 pm 

I'd like to note that Vista Style Builder can convert XP, Vista, and 7 styles to and from one another. Windows 8/8.1 support is still in beta, and Windows 10 support is still tuned for the earlier builds. It's about as accurate as Google translate, but it's a start. Heck, I had a few converted XP themes working pretty smoothly on Windows 7, though they still kinda fell apart when DWM was active. Others completely exploded (aka having the caption bitmap floating directly above its intended location), but once again, it's a start. Vista styles seem to make the jump much more easily, so it could be said that desktop composition is the only major breaking point :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:16 pm 

Jcee wrote:

Would I love to see a completely rebuilt explorer by Ivo, with all the cool features (like showing folder size, and customized skins) Sure; Though I think he has his hands full with the start menu...

Yeah, I would love to see a fork of reactos explorer-new but for Windows 7, 8, and 10. That would be a great start as it would not have to start completely from scratch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 pm 

It would probably need to be from scratch anyways, because reactOS isnt quite as customizable as I'd like it to be :P, and thats windows xp anyways :P Personally I think browser, and file explorer should merge into 1 :P, I would love to use google chrome for local browsing if it had just a handful more features :P (suprised it didnt turn out this way, when they made chromeOS)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:22 pm 

So what about Aero glass for titlebars? It seems you have a stable solution for the taskbar, is there anything preventing you from doing native glass with titlebars?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm 

phly95 wrote:
So what about Aero glass for titlebars? It seems you have a stable solution for the taskbar, is there anything preventing you from doing native glass with titlebars?

TrueTransparency...?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 pm 

Splitwirez wrote:
phly95 wrote:

TrueTransparency...?

Have you tested it with Windows 10? I don't have a VM to use it on. This is my only computer so anything that could break it is off limits for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 pm 

phly95 wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:
phly95 wrote:

TrueTransparency...?

Have you tested it with Windows 10? I don't have a VM to use it on. This is my only computer so anything that could break it is off limits for me.

Tested on the release candidate. Bit derpy, but it works. You'll need the x86 and x64 versions if you want TrueTransparency borders on all applications on a x64 OS. It's a portable application and works in memory, so it doesn't take effect unless it's running. That's a good thing, as I find the x64 version occasionally siezes up and must be shut down to free any skinned applications.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:30 pm 

I tried it and it looked horrible. Firefox was all screwed up and file explorer had no effect. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:10 pm 

phly95 wrote:
I tried it and it looked horrible. Firefox was all screwed up and file explorer had no effect. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

That's why it has an exception list. Add Firefox to it, and remove explorer from it. Also, x64 and x86, remember?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 am 

I think I'll just wait until BigMuscle finishes his tool. It seems like it'll be a lot more polished. I just thought there was a way to use native Windows 10 glass (like used on start menu and taskbar if enabled under Classic Shell) on windows titlebars.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Classic Shell only works inside Explorer. It can't just go into arbitrary applications and mess with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:21 am 

phly95 wrote:
I think I'll just wait until BigMuscle finishes his tool. It seems like it'll be a lot more polished. I just thought there was a way to use native Windows 10 glass (like used on start menu and taskbar if enabled under Classic Shell) on windows titlebars.

Wait, what? I thought you said anything that could break your computer is off the table. BigMuscle's Aero Glass is more likely to do that than TrueTransparency...

...also, only TrueTransparency lets you do this: