It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:41 am 

So as you may be knowing, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in Windows XP was great for viewing GIFs, especially animated GIFs. Windows Vista and later versions of Windows do not support viewing animated GIFs at all in the Photo Viewer. Instead you are supposed to open animated GIFs in a web browser to view them. This is unacceptable. So here is an AutoIt script compiled into an EXE file which serves as the replacement for XP's GIF Viewer:

1. Download GIFView.zip
2. Extract the EXE to some folder like %appdata%\GIFView\. Do NOT run the EXE directly.
3. Instead, right click a GIF file, choose Open With from the right click menu -> "Choose default program". In the "Open With" dialog, click Browse and select the EXE you downloaded. Associate GIF files to always open with this EXE you downloaded by checking the box "Always use the...".

Now your animated GIF files will play fine in it. Also, you can quickly navigate forward/back and see all the GIF files in a folder.

Attachments:
GIFView.zip [311.03 KiB]
Downloaded 1433 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:03 pm 

Tried it. Works fine. Good basic viewer. :)

My personal preference is still Irfanview,
as it plays .ani animated cursers as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:56 pm 

Yeah IrfanView is superb because it can zoom the GIF too and still smoothly play the animation. I use it too with all the plugins installed. But sometimes I have many mixed files in a folder (PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP) and I want to view only GIFs without changing the file type settings. So I wanted to post a dedicated GIF viewer. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 am 

Aloha, Gaurav

Thanks so much for this great little gif viewer! I love being able to just click through my gifs without having to load them into a browser.

The only thing that I would suggest is to display the filename for each gif. When I click on NEXT it doesn't always go to the next one in the folder, but jumps ahead ... somewhere. I have a lot of gifs (that I haven't looked at in a long time), so don't immediately recognize them and don't know where the "next" displayed one might be, nor its name.

;)
Save
Save
Save