It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:34 pm 

We wanted to get my dad a laptop for christmas, he's quite used to windows 7, but the one laptop best buy had available with win7 was not in stock and I wanted to set it up for him before he drives back to saskatchewan.

Best Buy offered to set up classic shell for us, and that seemed the easiest option, I find myself a bit anxious though, hopefully with some research I will be able to give him something that will be indistinguishable from his preferred windows 7 experience. If not I will have to purchase a copy of win7 from memory express and just hope that the dell laptop we got will accept a "down"grade.

I'm not anticipating a problem, but I have been avoiding windows 8 like the plague after it made me feel useless, maybe I'm even more of a curmudgeon than my dad.

Mostly he hoards his ripped video and music files, and stores them on dozens of external drives, so from what I've learned about classic shell, he shouldn't notice, but until I get the computer tomorrow and dig in for myself, I'll have to twiddle my thumbs and hope a few online guides will make my dad's christmas for me.

Maybe the thread title should be added to the faq? :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:45 pm 

Notice; absolutely there are definitely things in windows 8 that this, or any other known program cover up

as for the start button itself.. it should be close.. but there are still slight differences lack of blur, buttons not perfectly aligned, and a context menu on right clicking the button for example

Try it out though, and you should be pleasantly surprised :)
you can try it on windows 7 if you want to get a jumpstart on messing around (if your the type to). Or classic shell has a quick way to jump to the windows 7 style if you don't feel like customizing it