It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm 

Has anyone attempted to replace the standard digital clock in the taskbar with Dale Nurden's famous TClock?

It worked right up to my Windows-7 (32 bit) but would not work on the 64-bit which is pretty universal now.
It's kinda nice to see the seconds down in the right hand corner, not to mention how much memory I have left....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 pm 

ya, its stupid that MS still hasnt included a second hand on their computer clock...its likely so you cant count the seconds you've wasted waiting for things to work

I've always used Timeleft.. I often have need for timers, it has a regular Timer, Countdown Timer, Stop Watch, Clock, Reminder, & Sticky.. it works as an Alarm Clock and it can use any font on your system...

It also has Portable Install option which is great for use on other computers (recommended).. you can edit the font, the font color, background color, make a transparent background, adjust clock transparency, location, etc..

You can download it here: http://www.timeleft.info/taskbar-clock.html

After you install it, Run it, click "Clock", then "Clock again", then click:
  • "Show Options", Click the following:
    • "Stay on Top"
    • "Allow Drag out of Desktop" if you want to put it somewhere outside of the desktop.. like the taskbar.. but if u click on the taskbar itself (not folders or programs items there) it will cover this up, to reveal it, just click the clock through the taskbar and wait a second or two.. i'm not sure what exactly re-activates it, but its pretty easy to do
    • "Start with Windows"
    • "Enable Sounds" (For Alarms & Timers)
  • Click Apply & OK
  • On the Main Window, Select the Clock & click "Edit"
  • For the Title, type something you want see all the time, like: "........Have a Great Day!........", or "........Tokyo........" , i use the dots to center it over the clock
  • Select your Preferred Time & Date Layout:
    • Click "Edit Layout
    • Drag & Drop the items around to anywhere you want them, I use:
    • Hours [:] Minutes [:] Seconds [space] Day [/] Month [/] Year
  • Select your Format, 12 or 24 hour, or System Format
  • Select an Appearance:
    • Click on "Select Skin", then click "Show as Image" and browse to one you like, or
    • or Select "Font" and choose your Font & Background Colors, select Bold or whatever
    • You'll have to play around with it to get it to look right depending on your desktop background and its location
    • Transparency in the Main window will only apply if you use a background
    • Transparent Background looks coolest on your desktop background, but a background color will let you see it over all your windows, and you can adjust transparency of the whole thing
  • Deselect "Show Border"
  • Select "Effect" and click on "Metamorphose" then choose your Transition Effect.. "Slide North to South" is cool
  • Select a Timezone, if this is a second or third clock..
  • Click "Transparent Background"(I'm not sure this works on every font & background color combination)
  • Click Apply & OK
  • Drag your Clock to wherever you want it to stay on your desktop
  • Done
One function would be nice, is the ability to adjust transparency of the background independently of the Numbers..
and to disable drag & drop maybe
and to stay on top of taskbar. that might be a win7x64 thing though

Attachments:
Capture43.JPG
Capture43.JPG [ 9.61 KiB | Viewed 90251 times ]

Last edited by Tenzen on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hey, thanx!
Will take a look at timeleft! Particularly if I can squeeze it into the RHS of Win-8's taskbar.

Thanx again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm 

it used to replace the system clock in XP, i havent got it to do that in Windows 7 x64

anyway, right-click the taskbar, go to Properties, click "Customize" on the Taskbar Tab, click teh small blue text at the bottom "Turn System Icons On or Off", go to the Clock and select "off"

to get rid of your windows clock completely, and have your other clock elsewhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm 

Thanx, Tenzen -
Yes, I am no newbie.
The standard old Windows clock does not bother me. I know how to turn the clock off.

I have an Analog clock from ... Ummm, I forget who.. on my Win-8 desktop.

Oh. Wait- it is from http://nes.bplaced.net/sidebar7.html lots of other screen gadgets also!

BE CAREFUL. There is some spyware in the above website. But- it is not too harmful. Just don't click the "install our toolbar" etc.

But as you probably know, the second hand of the analog clock chews up a lot of cpu time (5% ? 10% ? depending on your graphics power. )

So, I keep the second-hand turned OFF
I just want a little "seconds" counter in the taskbar. That is all.

Thanx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 am 

Why does the Second hand take up more resources than the Second counter?

anyway, the one above cant seem to replace the System Clock anymore, in win7x64.. but if you need more than one clock its not a big problem anyway

but this is timeleft3, i dont know if the feature was removed & still works in this old ones or what

It says its a Free version, not the deluxe version, but it has no limitations, and can make as many of whatever you want added, including the stickies, features which were originally only in the deluxe version.. perhaps its not developed anymore or he just decided to make it all free, afterall..

anyway, I'm still open to any other suggestions to anything with this many features, this customizable, which replaces the System Clock and operates in the Taskbar..

let me know if you find anything..

ps. i wasnt saying ur a noob.. but online communication has to be written as if it was discovered by anyone searching for answers, so the posts have use and merit beyond this moment in time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 am 

Tenzen wrote:
Why does the Second hand take up more resources than the Second counter?

The "digital" is just two digits of text, whereas the "second-hand" is graphical and has to be redrawn every second.

Check your task manager or a similar app that shows your cpu cycles. Turn the second-hand off, check the cpu or graphics usage, and then turn the second-hand on. Then watch the cpu-usage go up! (depending on how powerful your graphics processor or CPU is)

On an old low-powered PC I had, I noticed the second-hand was consuming more than 5% of my cpu! So I turned it off.

Anyhow, the request about the seconds ticking in the task-bar is no big deal. I suppose I was just looking back with nostalgia at my old 32-bit XP system.... ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 am 

Hey, I found a totally awesome one that replaces the system clock automatically, and actually works on Windows 7 x64

its called T-Clock 2010 x64, by Stoic Joker

I Posted the Details Here, for Future Reference:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24&p=1963#p1963

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm 

this thread can be marked as "Solved"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 am 

Tenzen wrote:

really? :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:59 am 

Use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker if you want to see seconds in the taskbar with the native Windows taskbar clock (whose time format btw can be customized from Region Control Panel).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:24 am 

tingliu wrote:
Tenzen wrote:

really? :o

umm ya.. I've been using Stoic Jokers T-Clock 2010 x64 build 95 for a very long time already, on 3 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate Machines without a problem.. all options work, you can set anything, nothing hangs, all are set to start with Windows

beautiful

the only thing I would like is a Taskbar button for the T-Clock Calendar, or at least on the right-click without being under Quickies.. , so its faster to access

anyone know a way to create a shortcut to open the T-clock Calendar?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 am 

I'd like to open a 3-month view in T-clock Calendar, on a click of an Icon in Quicklaunch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm 

free and works on 64bit windows
http://drive-software.com/freedesktopclock.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:07 pm 

CustMan wrote:
free and works on 64bit windows

thats pretty awesome.. i like how easy it is to open the calendar.. the only problem is it doesnt show 3 month Calendar windows, which I prefer.. the weird thing is it shows "next year" as a setting option, but nothing about multiple adjacent months.. which is far more important to anyone exept people who want to see when their birthday is next year...

T-Clock shows 3 months as well as 12 month calendars

But I like FreeClocks Hourly Chime..

But I dont like the built in skins, and I dont like that I cant customize the Time format anyway I choose, Like I can with T-Clock..

the second to the last skin is the closets format I like, but I hate the font.. I wish I could select my own font.. i dont really want to go online and look for what other skins they might have.. if they arent included I tend to feel they likely arent that great

But i do like the over/under of the day/month a bit..

and the alarms are not available except in full versions..

close.. if i could just customize my own I'd be sold..

pretty awesome though, for people who like those fonts..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:13 am 

No I have not bothered to replace my system clock, It is fine how it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:51 am 

Satuim wrote:
No I have not bothered to replace my system clock, It is fine how it is.

exactly, we can all say something is adequate for how we need or intend to use it.

if it fills our needs, there is no reason to look for a replacement.

I'm sure for some people even windows without Classicshell appears to be 'fine how it is', if it suits their purposes and needs.. and thats great for them. the point is, we should all have what we want..

so there is no right or wrong in terms of what someone should be using.

For some, actually the majority of Microsoft-based internet users, IE is the browser of choice.. they simply feel its 'fine how it is'..

personally, i need Firefox. and I need Classicshell, and I need T-clock.

and thankfully they exist for those that do need them

and for those who dont, they dont really even need to know they exist, if they are really so fully satisfied

but for me, both Microsoft & Apple almost always rub me the wrong way, with their total lack of customizability. As if everybody on the planet all wanted to use the computer the exact same way

I say give them feedom, power, & options. like classicshell does.. to break out of the box, and create something that suits your own individual needs

and t-clock does what Microsoft and apple should do but dont.. give me OPTIONS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:51 am 

Well after looking at T-Clock it does looks nice as it displays date as well.

All a clock needs to do is tell me the time :)

Yeah I can't stand using Safari on Mac.

Well yeah they are giving us lack of customization. But did it ever have it in the first place?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:27 am 

T-Clock has been revived with lots of fixes and enhancements and support for modern releases of Windows: https://github.com/White-Tiger/T-Clock

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.