It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 pm 

First time here and I just want to say many thanks and appreciations for your Classic Shell software which I just installed it today. No more shall I have to suffer through the no Start Button which listed all my programs or that stupid Metro screen. I have been a MS Windows fan since Windows 95 up until this atrocious Windows 8. You guys save me from abandon Windows and looking toward to Apple OS. Again, thanks guys! I just wish I encounter this program/forum sooner.

One question I have while reading the FAQ tab, I was kind of confuse when I got to the uninstall part:
[What is the right way to uninstall Classic Shell?
To uninstall Classic Shell follow these steps:
3. Make sure the toolbar is hidden (if you uninstall while the toolbar is visible, the menu bar in Explorer will get stuck in the visible state and you won’t be able to hide it)

After I uninstalled Classic Shell I can't hide the menu in Explorer any more. What do I do?
If you missed step 3 from the uninstall instructions and you are having problems with the menu, you have two options:
Go to the registry, open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser key and delete the ITBar7Layout value]

My question is what does "toolbar is hidden" refer to in window explorer? Is it from the Folder Option which one has to put a check mark under Don't show hidden
file/ folder/driver or something else?

Other than the above, I'm all good. Got a chance to play around with Classic shell Button and change it to a different logo. Next step is to search the forum for changing the color of the taskbar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 pm 

Classic Shell ships with a Windows File Explorer toolbar which puts back important functions. Due to a bug in Explorer, sometimes it gets confused between toolbars, especially when one of the toolbars is uninstalled. Therefore it is recommended before uninstall that you hide Classic Shell's toolbar. On Windows 7, this can be done by right clicking the Explorer menu bar and unchecking "Classic Explorer Bar". On Windows 8, to hide the Classic Explorer toolbar, go to the View tab of the Ribbon, click the Options dropdown menu button (note, not the Options button itself, buts the little black arrow below it) and uncheck Classic Explorer Bar.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm 

Thanks
GauravK for the explanation!